Investigating the potential of natural restoration and rewilding in the European landscape
MSc: Biodiversity, Conservation and Management, University of Oxford
BSc (Hons): Ecological and Environmental Sciences, University of Edinburgh
Host Institution: iDiv, Germany
Partner Institution: Rewilding Europe Foundation, The Netherlands
Supervisors: Prof. Henrique Pereira; Dr. Nestor Fernandez, Raquel Filgueiras
Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Languages: English, German, Spanish
My project focuses on understanding which physical, ecological and socio-economic factors determine the chances of success for the recovery and rewilding of well-functioning, coherent ecosystems. I am based between the German Centre for Biodiversity Research (iDiv) in Leipzig, Germany and Rewilding Europe’s head offices in Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
I graduated top of my year studying ecological and environmental science for my undergraduate, during which time I also worked for two summers on the American Prairie Reserve in Montana. I then spent a year living in Mexico where I worked as a research assistant at the faunal conservation lab at UNAM, continuing to focus on prairie landscapes and their conservation issues, most specifically on the mutualistic grazing patterns of prairie dogs and cattle in Janos, Chihuahua. It was during my master’s year at the University of Oxford that I concentrated my efforts on rewilding as an exciting opportunity for novel conservation approaches.
Outside of work, I’ll be swing dancing, kickboxing, or in the theatre.
1. Segar, J., Pereira, H., Baeten, L., Bernhardt-Römermann, M., De Frenne, P., … & Staude, I. (2022). Divergent roles of herbivory in eutrophying forests. Preprint, Research Square.
2. Segar, J., Callaghan, C. T., Ladouceur, E., Meya, J. N., Pereira, H. M., Perino, A., & Staude, I. R. (2022). Urban conservation gardening in the decade of restoration. Nature Sustainability, 1-8.
3. Holz, H., Segar, J., Valdez, J., & Staude, I. R. (2022). Assessing extinction risk across the geographic ranges of plant species in Europe. Plants, People, Planet, 4(3), 303-311.
4. Segar, J., Pereira, H. M., Filgueiras, R., Karamanlidis, A. A., Saavedra, D., & Fernández, N. (2022). Expert‐based assessment of rewilding indicates progress at site‐level, yet challenges for upscaling. Ecography, 2022(4).
5. Segar, J., & Keane, A. (2020). Species and demographic responses to wildlife‐friendly fencing on ungulate crossing success and behavior. Conservation Science and Practice, 2(10), e285.
6. Pereira, H., Fernández, N., Perino, A., Segar, S., Schepers, F., Stoneman, R. (2020). Ecological restoration in the EU post-2020 biodiversity strategy: The opportunities of rewilding European landscapes for nature and climate. Rewilding Europe.